This is the forth in a leadership series – Complexity the New Norm. This series is looks how we implement successful change that fulfills people and avoids human casualties.
Our question is, how do we create working relationships that are rewarding? (Rewarding not just productive). Why?
It’s only by energizing people and harnessing technologies better than anyone else that companies can thrive.
Genuinely aligned, empowered and collaborative people will outperform the competition every time.
This month I consider probably one of the most difficult areas is sales, especially complex sales.
What makes sales complex?
- Many decision makers
- Team selling
- Proposal or tender based selling (RFP)
- Post sales support requirements like after sales service
- Needs tailored solutions
- High value, e.g often needing board approval
- Long sales cycles
- Technical/knowledge based elements
- Consultative selling requirements
- Customer relationship focus
So, more people across the company need to communicate with customers and prospects before, during and after the sale. This increases complexity and the difficulty of “Keeping Everyone On The Same Page”